unfair breed stereotypes

Food and vet bills aren't the only costs when it comes to dog ownership. Did you know there are downsides to the breed of your dog? No, I'm not trying to point out that Newfoundlands will only leave a handful of years or that a Weimaraner will be bouncing off the walls with energy. These may be true, but I mean the downside of your dog's breed that involves others.

It's something not really talked about, or simple to explain, but obviously are people going to have opinions when it comes to your dog, whether they know it (or you like it!) or not. Here are a few examples of conversation of how might respond to these dog breeds.

Pit Bull: "Don't pet that dog, Billy! It's a Pit Bull!"

"Actually, he doesn't bite. He's very friendly."

"No, I've seen the news and I know all Pit Bulls are killers!"

"I've done my research and my dog is very lovable."

"Yeah, well, my friend's uncle's cousin's aunt's co-worker got bit by a Pit Bull once! They're all evil!"

Quite obviously, Pit Bull owners, and the owners of similar breeds such as American Staffies, Staffies, Cane Corsos, American Bulldogs, will have to deal with the bad reputation the breed has. It's awesome to educate these ignorant people, but you'll still have to respect that most people won't want to interact with your dog. Some people will think they're experts on the breed just because they heard of a dog bite on the news.

Weimaraner: "Oh, such a cute dog! Is that a Weinarameraner?"

"Yes, a Weimaraner."

"Hi there, little Weimanarer!"

I feel bad for anyone that has a breed like a Weimaraner with a name that's not the easiest to pronounce. So many people must say your dog's breed incorrectly!

Dachshund: "Aww, it's a hot dog/weiner dog/sausage dog/dash hound!"

Need I say more? It doesn't bother me too much, but as the owner of a Dachshund, I know what it's like to hear all the hot dog remarks. Some people think the Dachshund breed is actually called "Hot Dog". Like I said, I don't mind too much. After all, Chris does walk around wearing his hot dog costume sometimes!

Collie: "It's Lassie!"

Not much to say here either. In short, from what I've heard, if you have a Collie or a Shetland Sheepdog, your dog will be called Lassie sooner or later.

...

What do other people think of your breed? Do they give it a wrong name or maybe give it an unfair stereotype?


Comments

  1. People judge Zaphod because he is a German Shepherd mix. They are often fearful. Those who judge him miss the sweetest dog ever. As no one knows what Hailey is she is free from judgement.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment